Friday 11 December 2009

Chairman's challenge

Last month, I joined the local branch of the Embroiderers' Guild. Our next meeting is on Saturday and we have a 'Chairman's Challenge' - design and make a Christmas card - any size, any technique. I'd had an idea kicking around in my head for a while so after a couple of false starts, here is the result.



To make the snowball, I bonded two layers of shiny, sparkly, white polyester sheer fabric together with bondaweb, cut out lots of circles with a soldering iron and then stitched them together, adding a bead at each joining point. The card base is two layers of thick craft vilene with the same sheer attached with the embellisher machine. I cut a circle out of the card front and inserted my snowball.


And a close up





I'd also watched the Talking Threads episode on www.countrychannel.tv recently that featured Fay Maxwell and her slashing technique and had been intrigued to try it out. Using lots of different shades of green fabric, I constructed this Christmas tree to which I added beads and mounted it on shiny card.



And a close up



This will be the very first time I'll have entered my work in any sort of competition but, to coin a phrase, 'you can't win it if you ain't in it!' Wish me luck.......

3 comments:

Nuvofelt said...

Love them both, hope you win.

Good to see some of those talking thread techniques being put to use too.

Well done

Gina said...

Both cards are lovely... and certainly deserve to win!

Sharne Gregory said...

Fingers crossed! I especially like the snowball.