Saturday 10 October 2009

A great day out

Had a great day out at the Knitting & Stitching Show at Alexandra Palace yesterday. Lots of shopping and lots of admiration for all the work that was on display. It's on today and tomorrow too so if you haven't been yet, I'd strongly urge you to go.

I'd been trying to get hold of some Sheer Heaven but couldn't find a UK stockist and was loth to pay the shipping charges from the US. I noticed that Dale at The Thread Studio in Western Australia had some on her website so dropped her an email to find out if it was something she was planning to bring along to the Show. Unfortunately, her supplies had already been sent on ahead but she actually put some in her suitcase for me. How's that for service! She'd also posted a question on her blog before leaving Perth for visitors to the show. If they visited her stand, answered the question, they could win one of her 'Pommie Bags' and I won one! Lots of lovely little goodies including various threads, some hand dyed chiffon and a mysterious other piece of fabric that I've yet to identify.

I timed my visit to Maggie Grey's D4Daisy Books stand in time to see Carol McFee and Lynda Monk demonstrate some of the techniques in their new book, 'Stitching the Textured Surface'. Had a nice chat with them about the new books and the online course I did with Carol/Lynda a while ago and they were kind enough to gift me one of their gessoed lutradur pieces. How fantastic is that!

I also touched base with Jan Beaney and Jean Littlejohn to introduce myself before we meet on their course at Masseria Della Zingara in Puglia, Italy at the end of this month. We talked about the materials list for the course and the kind of work that they've planned. It all sounds very exciting and I can't wait.

Shopping wise, lots of threads found their way into my bag, along with more sari ribbons, screen printing textile ink, four new textile books and some fine yarn made from hemp that will be coming to Italy with me - not for knitting, but for hand stitching. I couldn't resist getting a lucet having been entranced by the flashing fingers of friendly and engaging Ziggy Rytka. Check out his website here for more info. Not that I need yet another new art/crafting activity of course!

After the show, I met up with John at the V & A in South Kensington (they open late on Fridays). On the first 3 Fridays of the month, they hold a free, hour long recital by a musician from the Royal College of Music in the Norfolk Room. And very nice it was too.

We grabbed an excellent pizza at a little Italian cafe next door to South Ken Tube station and then made a mad dash to catch the 9.30pm train home from Liverpool Street. That's when the lovely day turned into a bit of a nightmare. To cut a long story short, due to signalling problems, we finally walked into the house at 2.15am!

3 comments:

Purple Missus said...

Good grief - my getting home at 9pm pales into insignificance next to your nightmare journey.
Still, it was a good day wasn't it?
Lovely to meet you and lets hope we bump into each other again - you don't live that far away. :)

alison said...

I have just come across your blog via the Weaver of Willow. I think your top painting does give the viewer the feeling of being in a misty wood.
The show at Alexandra palace sounds interesting. I always get a bit over-excited at those events - so many great ideas ( so little time.........)

Digitalgran said...

I think I bumped into you more than once during the day Amanda! Probably at Maggie's or Dale's stand. I just love you trees painting.