Friday 16 October 2009

Playing with Paintstiks (and no, that's not a typo!)

One of the books I bought at the Knitting and Stitching Show was Ruth Issett's new offering, "Paintstiks". (Amazon are currently out of stock but you should be able to get it from www.artvango.co.uk)

I'd had a couple of these in my stash for a while and had never got round to doing anything with them. So, after watching Ruth demonstrate and reading the book, here's my first attempts at using them on fabric.

It's quite amazing what you can produce with a few bits of calico, masking tape, a torn piece of paper and an old toothbrush. I'm well and truly hooked on these versatile rods of colour - more colours should be winging their way to me - postal strikes permitting - so I'm looking forward to some more experimenting when they arrive.

Click on the pictures to get a better view of the subtle tonal qualities you can achieve.











1 comment:

The Weaver of Grass said...

There is nothing like going to an exhibition and watching one of the "greats" do a demo to make you come home inspired. This happens every time I see Jan Beaney, Jean Littlejohn, Alysyn Midgelow, Jean Draper and, of course, Ruth Isset - you can add Maggie Grey to that list too. I think you have achieved interesting results already. Isset's work is always so colourful isn't it.