Sunday 28 February 2010

Aurora Borealis

I needed to take a break this weekend from working on the piece I'm entering into a juried exhibition next month. At our Embroiders Guild meeting last Saturday, members were asked to produce one or two fabric postcards which are to be sold at an event in Sheringham, North Norfolk later this year to raise funds for the Teenage Cancer Unit at Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge which is due to open in December.

I've not had my embellisher out for a while so I used a couple of skeins of multi-coloured wool felt yarn from my stash and embellished some onto three different colours of acrylic felt. I really wasn't happy with the results until I turned the pieces over and saw the back. I've never been lucky enough to see the Aurora Borealis but that's exactly what the pieces brought to mind. Some trimming to size, hand stitching with metallic thread and satin stitching the edges on the sewing machine and I'd got six postcards to donate to this worthwhile cause.

It's quite hard to see the hand stitching but hopefully, if you click the images to enlarge, you should be able to see at least some of it.







1 comment:

J.B. said...

Lovely. Are these postcards meant to go in the mail? Is there cardboard backing to write on? Or do you use them for something else?